Lighthouses - northernimages
Raspberry Island Lighthouse

Raspberry Island Lighthouse

Congress appropriated $6,000 for constructing the station on March 3, 1859, and a work crew was dispatched to begin construction on the island during the 1862 navigation season. Work continued through year until winter's ravages made continuation impossible, and resumed the following spring. The new structure consisted of a two story, single family wooden frame dwelling with a short square wood tower located at the center of the roof apex. Access to the tower was through a set of steps through the attic located at the top of the second floor landing. Read more about Rasberry Island at "Seeing the Light": http://www.terrypepper.com/lights/superior/raspberry/index.htm

Apostle IslandsApostlesLighthouses