The small wooden frame lighthouse on the southeast shore of Grand Island was constructed during the period 1869-1870 for the the purpose of guiding vessels into Munising Harbor from the east. The land was one of a number of parcels reserved in 1847 for government use. Resembling a small country church in style, its original color was white. The location, opposite the dangerous shoal at Sand Point, was critical for safe navigation. By 1905 however, the Lighthouse Board noted that the light was no longer serving its original purpose. Considering the difficulties in maintenance and the mariner's desire for improved range lights, its abandonment was only a matter of time. The light was finally abandoned in 1913 as a result of the construction in 1908 of improved range lights.