In 1910, the new 580' ore carrier William C. Moreland, completing her first season, became stranded on the shoals and broke in two. The William C. Moreland was valued at $400,000. This provided the impetus to build a new lighthouse. In 1917 a temporary light and fog signal were erected at 5 mile point while the present-day structure was being built. All materials for Sand Hills Lighthouse had to be brought to the site by barge, there were no roads. The huge Sand Hills Lighthouse was completed in 1919, with two full stories and a row of windows looking out from a small third level. The Light station was divided into two separate residences, with a square 91' light tower projecting from the middle of the building. The new lighthouse was the twin of the Scotch Cap Lighthouse on Alaska's Unimac Island.