Lighthouses - northernimages
Copper harbor Lighthouse

Copper harbor Lighthouse

The shipwreck of the John Jacob Astor in 1844 and rapidly expanding Lake Superior shipping traffic influenced lead to the construction of the Copper Harbor Lighthouse in 1847. For $4,800, Charles Rude built the original 65-foot-tall split stone, whitewashed tower on Hays Point between 1848-1849 about 100 feet in front of the present lighthouse in the vicinity of the steel tower.

Lighthouses