William A Irvin
The S.S. William A Irvin carried iron ore and coal to Great Lakes Ports for more than 40 years, often crashing through ferocious storms to reach her destinations. As the proud flagship of U.S. Steel's Great Lakes Fleet, she provided comfort and elegance to dignitaries and guests who traveled the Lakes with her. The Irvin was launched November 21, 1937 at the yards of the American Ship Building Company in Lorain, Ohio. At a cost of 1.3 million dollars, the Irvin was the first of four vessels in her class. Her maiden voyage began June 25, 1938 after outfitting in Lorain. The boat was christened by William Irvin's wife, Gertrude, and immediately went to work hauling bulk materials from Two Harbors and Duluth, Minnesota to U.S. Steel's mills of Lakes Michigan and Erie in Ohio and Indian.