Minnesota Point Lighthouse was the first high powered navigational light beacon on Lake Superior. The ligththouse was completed in 1858 at a cost of $13,675.28. This lighthouse once stood on the rivers edge where the St. Louis River enters Lake Superior. Shifting sands have left the light 1/4 mile from the entry and on the bay side of the point. Abandoned in 1878 when it was decided that concrete piers would be needed to stop the shifting river. The Bardou lens was moved to a new location on the west piehead entrance to the Superior Harbor. When Completed, it stood 50 feet high, built with red bricks shipped from Cleavland. Whitewashed mortar covered the red bricks to make them more visible. Now, after years of vandalism, it stands 35 feet high. A 10 foot high wooden turret with four large windows and a glass paneled door capped it. Waves often came up to it's base during storms. During Noreasters and Sping runnoff, fishermen could row their boats around the lighthouse. First high powered navigational light beacon on Lake Superior. Fog Horn The Lighthouse Keepers, or their wives, would blow a big tin horn. They would keep blowing this horn, sometime for hours, at intervals and the ships would answer until the ships would pass by.
14 / 31